Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

When I was a teenager, it wasn’t uncommon for me to yell that “I didn’t want to be born! Nobody asked me if I wanted to be born!” Usually this happened right before I slammed my door and cried my eyes out into a pillow because my parents wouldn’t let me stay out past midnight.
At the beginning of my pregnancy, nine months seemed like a really long time. Anytime I had concerns about the baby or parenting, I’d remind myself that it was a long time away.
But here, at 35 weeks, having a baby isn’t that far away anymore! Considering that 36 or 37 weeks is when many doctors won’t stop you from going into labor, the actual having of the baby moment is getting pretty close.
I don’t know how many times I cried because I was sure my baby would “hate me.” I know I’m not alone. I have a friend who, at 38 weeks, worried that her baby would, in fact, hate her.
It doesn’t exactly make sense that our babies would hate us. I’ve never met a baby in my life that hated its mother. If anything, babies love their mothers more than anyone else in the world. We are the mamas! We are mommy!
I’m going to go out on a limb and blame it on the hormones. Let me tell it like it is: Your baby will not hate you. It is not going to want a different mom. It isn’t going to open its eyes, give you a once over and act embarrassed.
It will at least have the decency to wait until it is a teenager to do that.

No comments:

Followers