Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I promise logic

I've been thinking and thinking.... with my ASD characteristics, I over think A LOT. But it's because I can't leave the equation incomplete. Enter the "Who's On First" scene from Rain Man.  It's an incomplete equation.  And he can't leave it incomplete.

SO, anyway.  The thing I've rolled over and over in my head is my NEED for no shoes to be worn in my home.  And this is what I've come to:

I have seen enough scientific proof that wearing shoes in the house defeats my goals.  In can actually pull up articles that support it.  Therefore, my battle is finished.  I can now simply say "No shoes."  And if you want to argue, I'll give you a link to take it up with.

The thing here is actually NOT the shoe issue.  It's that logic has become a less than normal defense.  When it should be the FIRST defense.

Almost EVERY one looks at my reactions as emotional reactions.  But I'm actually NOT a highly emotional person. (I have proof of THAT too).  I'm a logical reactor.  When it goes against logic, I get offended.  Every one is hung up on the idea that I get offended when my "feeling" are hurt.

If  you saw someone on the sidewalk with no legs, you would not expect them to walk around.  So it should not be expected for a non emotionally rationalizing person to think with their emotions. 

ASD is not as obvious as missing legs. But it DOES mean that the person accomplishes their goal differently than NON ASD people.  Just like someone without legs has to go about their goals differently than someone with legs.

Fight all you want. You CANNOT force what is not possible.  You cannot MAKE a brain work differently than it is wired.

So the next time you think something I say is unfair, or demanding, or makes no sense, look at it logically not emotionally.

Is it LOGICAL that I, not you dictate the rules in my home?
I'm not demanding respect as much as the logic that I deserve the respect in my home.

It's logical that I, not you clean my house.  Is it logical that I dictate how much mess I have to clean in my home?  Emotion says "Be kind above all else."  Logic says " Of COURSE it's reasonable that I make the rules in my home."

If you keep trying to get me to respond according to the emotional "Right", you will continue to get a fight out of me because I CANNOT, and DO NOT work that way.

No comments:

Followers