Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

If you think I Home School because I'm lazy...

Ginger made the comment that I only Home School because I am too lazy to get up in the mornings to get E to School.

Well, here is an example of just How lazy I am:

Today I spent 2 hours on Math with E. She randomly forgot her numbers from 70 to 100. And there was a Math problem that read: "What Number is 10 less than 99?"

Long story short, after having her count forward and backward between 80 and 100 many times, and taking several "mental health" breaks, we got it.

Now you need to understand that she KNOWS this. And I KNOW she does because I work with her weekly if not daily on it, and every other time, she's not had a single problem. And she had just easily and correctly answered 10 other problems JUST like it.

For most parents, they send their child to school, where the teacher does this. But I don't know ANY situations where a teacher with 15+ students can spend 2 hours working through one math problem like this. So there is the option of tutoring.

Well, I'm called lazy, but I do it all myself. And E is at performance level if not above most 1st Graders.

2 comments:

Donette said...

Why is Elizabeth in 1st grade? Isn't she the same age as Brie? Well public school teachers don't teach them everything in the carriculum, maybe about 50% and then the rest is the parent. I spend between one and two hours a night with Brie and homework. I do think homeschooling is a really good thing. Sometimes I wish I had it in me to homeschool.

Candace said...

Elizabeth attended Kindergarten twice. I guess I figure that if we as parents have to teach them that much anyway, might as well do it all :-)

Followers