Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mommy bonding

I got together with the Moms from the playgroup I attend.... we attend as a Family is more like it. We did a "Mom's Night In" since it is RARE that all of us can coordinate a time when we can go out without the Kids. This was a FANTASTIC idea. If you could come "kidless," then GREAT. If not, come and bring the Kids. It was a lot of fun.

And I got to see once again how Moms bond. It's quite a fascinating thing to observe. Some of the Moms there tonight, I have just met, seen once before, or know REALLY well. Yet, we have the "Mommy thing" in common. I may have just met Ashley, but I know her Labor and Delivery story. I've only hung out with Roxy a handful of times, but know all about her potty training woes. This is just how we do it. This is what sets us apart. I've noticed it over time, and just barely have been able to actually organize my thoughts on exactly what it is that bonds us Moms together. It's a very interesting thing. To meet a Woman for the first time, and have words like stitches, squirt bottle, pushing, etc come up. But it's so natural for us. It's what joins us. You may be 10 years older, or 10 years younger than I am, but it doesn't even matter. Because we've both given birth, and potty trained; driven a sick child to the ER, and said something outrageous that we never imagined EVER saying to another person.... this is what being a Mom is about.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

this is great Candace! Your past couple of posts I have wanted to "like" them like on Facebook, but Blogger doesn't have that feature. :)

Miriam said...

Super fun. I need to get a mommy group together in my ward. I don't know very many people. I really need a friend or two. I'm glad you are able to get together with ladies.

Candace said...

I hear you Deborah. I have wanted to do that with yours too. :-) Miriam, if... WHEN we move back, we'll get together!

Ginger said...

I totally agree! I've found this fascinating as well and before I was a Mom I felt there was a 'club' I wasn't in and once I had a kid, I realized this to be true. BUT Moms everywhere ..we're the same. If you have NOTHING to talk about then you have your kids to talk about ...cuz we all have those experiences in some way, shape or form.

Followers