Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Little Red Hen

Once upon a time, there was a little red hen who lived on a farm. She was friends with a lazy dog, a sleepy cat, and a noisy yellow duck.

One day the little red hen found some seeds on the ground. The little red hen had an idea. She would plant the seeds. The little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me plant these seeds?"

"Not I," barked the dog.
"Not I," purred the sleepy cat.
"Not I," quacked the duck.

"Then I will," said the little red hen. And she planted the seeds all by herself.

When the seeds had grown, the little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me cut the wheat?"

"Not I," barked the dog.
"Not I ," purred the cat.
"Not I," quacked the duck.

"Then I will," said the little red hen. And she cut the wheat all by herself.

When all the wheat was cut, the little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me take the wheat to the mill and grind it into flour?"

"Not I," barked the dog.
"Not I," purred the cat.
"Not I," quacked the duck.

"Then I will," said the little red hen. And she took the wheat to the mill all by herself, ground the wheat into flour, and carried the heavy sack back to the farm.

The tired little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me bake the bread?"

"Not I," barked the dog.
"Not I," purred the cat.
"Not I," quacked the duck.

"Then I will," said the little red hen. And she baked the bread all by herself.

When the bread was done, the tired little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me eat the bread?"

"I will," barked the dog.
"I will," purred the cat.
"I will," quacked the duck.

"No," said the little red hen. "I will!" And she ate the bread all by herself.


********************************************************
Now just to save any hurt feelings, I can guarantee that any of you who are reading this post, are NOT the friends I am referring to. I just often feel like the little red hen in situations, and wanted to write it down. :-)

No comments:

Followers