Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Monday, October 1, 2012

That one, I get!!!

I think it's obnoxiously hilarious when people who know I've been divorced; that David doesn't even live in the same state as I do.... just visits every 2 weeks; that we had a rough marriage before..... which left me on my own A LOT during the first 6 years of our marriage; OH, AND that he was deployed with the Military from the time I was 8 months pregnant with Elizabeth until right before Elysia was born; Think that I know NOTHING about being a Single Parent. NOPE! I get that one!

I have been a Single Parent of anywhere from 1 to 5 Children throughout the 10 years since I got married the first time.

I think people get caught up on the fact that A) Our divorce was only 3 months, and B) David is still in the picture.

What they don't see/understand is:

Although we were only DIVORCED for 3 months, we were officially separated for 3 months BEFORE that. And that was the SECOND time we had officially separated. I had kicked David out, or left him MANY times before that. So, I had at LEAST a year and a half of "official" Single Parent time under my belt.

And it doesn't matter that David is still "in the picture" and paying the bills. He is 100% NOT AROUND most of the time. I don't HAVE a second parent to help out. It's JUST ME!

SO, labels may need to be adjusted (No surprise THERE! People are ALWAYS trying to put strict labels on things that they don't always fit) But I am DEFINITELY no stranger to being a Single Parent!

No comments:

Followers