Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My coming out post

I think I may have forgotten to share a big thing that happened to me about a year ago.

I learned that  I am an Empath.

The reaction I got from the people I tried to share this information with was mixed. Some distanced themselves from me.  Some regard me cautiously but not much has changed. And the very few.... most of whom are Empaths themselves, get it.

In our home, The general acceptance of it is similar to getting a Hogwarts letter.  We discuss that some in our home have this gift.  Some do not. But both are reasons to celebrate.

I do not know about E.  But she seems to be the one who tries the hardest to turn it into a part of life and embrace it.  She even told me about how having "oil in your lamp" relates to being Empathic.

So let me tell you, for those of you who don't know what this thing is, what it is.

To be an Empath means you have gifts of a Spiritual nature that supersede regular mental guidelines.  These are the psychics, mediums, etc.   It is also called the "Gift of Discernment".

It ISN't as crazy in nature as many people automatically think.  It is simply the ability to read people with your emotions and energy rather than logic or brain power alone.  And to read their emotions or energy a little....or a lot better than average.

It means I can smell a lie easily. It means I can tell when there is, what I refer to as "A ripple in the "Force"."

It means that emotional strain drains me WAY more than physical exertion. It means that I know when something is bothering someone a little easier.  It means I know how to relate, and communicate in a way that the other person may understand better.

Most of the other Empaths I know have always known that they have this gift.

Being an Empath almost ALWAYS is generational. Chances are high that if a child is an Empath, one of their parents is also.

You see, it is not my Mom that is the Empath.... or if it is, she doesn't use it the right way, if at all.  I KNOW that My Dad was.  From my own internal radar (Gift of Discernment) combined with the stories I've been told of his affinity for animals and children, and love of art.  Not to mention his tendencies to turn to drugs and alcohol to escape.

ONE of David's parents is and Empath.  I KNOW this for a fact.  I have my suspicions.  But neither of them has embraced it, so I'm not 1005 sure.  But I KNOW one of his brothers is too.....

Anyhow, back to the point.

I was not raised with the education of what my "Weirdness" was called. I knew I was different.  I knew I didn't fit in.  And a year ago, I finally learned the name for it.

But MOST that I know have been taught by their Empathic parent (s)  what it means.

So now, I can't shut up about it. And I am so excited to hone it.

NOW, I have to make sure to use it correctly.


No comments:

Followers