Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The next step

We are getting ready to move.  My dream house is no longer in our sights.  Fortunately, my dream has evolved.  And I couldn't be happier.  Instead of the "house on the hill"  with it's grand room, high ceilings, and BRAND newness.  We are buying a 1979 rambler.  With a 1/2 acre, 2 beautiful kitchens, 2 laundry areas, 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, and RENTERS.

A little story here:

My mom has a cousin who has 6 children.  Matt is the Oldest and he is married to Andrea.  Jacob is the youngest and owns the 1979 rambler I just mentioned.

When our other house kept falling through, Andrea set about trying to help us find something else.  And told us about Jacob's house.  He was asking $100,000 more than our brand new house that we wanted so badly....YIKES, and it's 35 years older. So we pushed it to a corner and continued working on getting our new build.

And that fell through... AGAIN.

So I got in touch with Jacob... I haven't seen him in like 15 years,  And I probably knew him the least of all of the kids because of our age difference.

And he was SO awesome when I contacted him.  

I originally was not going to look at the house until David was in town.  But David said that I might as well go ahead and look because if I didn't like it, then there was NO point in him seeing it.

And over the course of 3 visits to the house, and bringing 2 close friends to look at it and help me understand the pros and cons, I fell IN LOVE with this house.

It is 3800 square feet.  The upstairs and downstairs can fully function separate of eachother.  He currently rents out the 2 rooms in the basement to 2 young ladies.  But they share the downstairs laundry, kitchen, storage and family room.  It has a walk out basement.

Jacob said he would come down $30,000 for us.  AND he will lease it to us until we get a loan.

He told me that he had several offers at full price, but felt really good about us vs the other "better" offers.  He has been SO amazing to work with.  And we are over there about once a week, discussing and working out all the details.

He has chickens in the back, that he said we can keep if we want them.  Yes.  And we went through a list of furniture/electronics he doesn't want to move, and we are buying 80% of it. Most of it consists of things mounted to the walls.

So, by the time David came home, 2 weeks later, it was just a matter of getting his approval.  We went straight from the airport to Jacob's.  And by the next afternoon, we asked Jacob and his wife to take it off the market for us ☺

Jacob and his wife have been so fantastic and the way they are willing to work with us is such a blessing.

And this past Sunday, was Fast Sunday.  I didn't want to fast.  But I felt that I needed to.... which I did.  And I prayed that whatever it was our family needed from my fasting would be.

That evening, Kenny (One of our longest and closest friends) called to tell me he's back in full church fellowship and he and his new wife (Who we love) wanted to go hang out with me and the kids on Monday.

As we were talking the next day, I mentioned the house we're moving into.

And that we had the option of renting out a portion of the basement and sharing the rest.  And now, it's a done deal.  Only waiting on David's approval.  And Kenny mentioned what an answer to their prayers it is.

And I am so grateful for the kindness Jacob has shown us that I am THRILLED to use it to help Kenny and Michelle!

No comments:

Followers