Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Truth vs Kindness

I find the above saying very very interesting.  I, you see CANNOT lie.  Except in VERY special circumstances.  Those being my Children's safety.  I can lie to the POPE himself if I believe it is necessary to protect my family.  But under any other circumstances, don't count on it.

As Oh, from the Movie "Home" says: " A lie is a bad thing. I did a thing so you can live."

That, to me is the difference between a lie and a necessity.  I do NOT lie.  I can, however adapt.

Many may stick with the "If you can't say anything nice...." adage.  However, is it wise to not speak the truth to be "kind"?

In the Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 16:2 and 3 say:


And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken hard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.
 And now my brethren, if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it, that ye might walk uprightly before God, then ye would not murmur because of the truth, and say: Thou speakest hard things against us.

One thing you HAVE to know about people who habitually, even compulsively speak the truth, is that they often don't have a filter that tells them if it's kind or not.  That DOESN'T mean they will blurt out that you're ugly. But if it's TRUE and not derogatory, they don't see the need to mince words.  They often feel that editing is doing the other person a disservice.
SO, just because it's true, doesn't mean it's "kind".  And just because it's "unkind", doesn't make it unnecessary.

"We are quickly becoming a sick and twisted culture both nationally and even globally. I get endlessly attacked and mocked for stating that simple truth, but I guess the truth hurts. There is certainly no disputing that obvious fact as far as I am concerned." Dave "the Sage" (Look him up on FB, he's awesome)

No comments:

Followers