Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Monday, February 23, 2009

My Home

Something that I have always found interesting is the fact that people always seem to nit pick about how I do things. If I walk into someone's home, and they do things a certain way, it seems only natural to conform. 'When in Rome," right. I mean after all, it is THEIR home, and if I am coming to visit then I want to show my respect to them... I probably like them if I'm in their home :-) And it would be terribly contradictive to disrespect them if I like them.For most of my adult years, I feel like my life has been scutinized under a microscope. And sometimes I'm astounded at the people who are doing the scrutinizing. It's not always the people who's business it is to have any opinion at all. And even when it is, do they really get THAT much input? Normally not!I have had some really ODD things scrutinized. My all time favorite is how I change a diaper. Who cares? For crying out loud, I will change a diaper the way I want and why are you even paying that close of attention? Are you REALLY that Bored with your own life? That was when Elizabeth was a Baby, so luckily, that issue seems to have gone away. But I STILL change a diaper pretty much the same way. Another thing that comes under scrutiny a lot is the way I keep and run my Home.People seem to think it's odd that I have a "No Shoes" rule. Which fascinates me because I have been in many homes where that was a non negotiable rule. And no one ever seemed to ? it. In fact, in some countries it's a horrible insult to wear your shoes in someone's home. And yet, people question it all the time with me which I find amusing.Something that I was thinking about today is how important a role our homes play in our lives.For me, my home is my sanctuary. Literally. It is where I go to feel safe. It is where I can let my guard down and relax. It is important to me to feel comfortable, and peaceful in my home.In our religion, there have been statements made along the lines of the home being second only to the Temples we worship in in sacredness. I really thought that through today. For those of you who have never been inside, shoes are removed and socks, slippers or shoes that have not been worn outside are worn inside our Temples. Sooo, the no shoes rule stays!

No comments:

Followers