Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Life and the "Rat Race"

"My take on the issue is that life is different for everyone, but in the end, it is just our "schooling and testing ground" for something a whole lot bigger in the scheme of things. For some, certain things come easily... but EVERYONE has their test. Someone may have $$$$ coming out their.... but may be a HORRIBLE person, and in the end, who's better off? The Actress with her millions and a crappy , lonely life, or the Dr. who has just gotten out of the student loan pit, but is saving lives? I have an "easy" life. There are some things I will never have to face. However, in exchange I have had to face my own demons. Life is not designed to be a race or competition. It is a test designed uniquely for each individual. And it all levels out when "schools" over." This is an answer I gave to a Friend more or less wondering why life isn't "fair."

Something I have thought about a lot , and constantly HAVE to remember is this: This is NOT our life. :-) It is just a phase. Our lives began eons before our Birth, and will continue for eons after our Death. What I do here matters only in an "academic" way. The clothes, car and house I have while "in school' don't matter a smidge if I can't graduate!

Something I have always chuckled at is my ability/inability to get away with things. There are some things I could NEVER get away with. And other things that I could totally take advantage of if I chose to. For example: I have CRAPPY luck with the law. I step ONE foot out of line in public, and I get caught. And it can simply be one of those "He pushed me first" type of situations. Doesn't matter. If I fought back, I get the punishment. Now, luckily, it all works out in the end... I end up attracting the people who matter and have enough integrity to help balance it out. Which is kind of the other side of what I am saying. Belive it or not, I have a way with people. Don't get me wrong, there are those who downright hate me. However, even they were "smitten" with me at on time. There are those middle ground people, but they usually do not have enough power in society to drastically change my life style. They are the people who make life wonderful and calm most of the time. But anyway... I have the ability to get away with things because the people who say so, end up agreeing with me, overlooking issues with me, or see me as harmless, and naive. Am I losing you? Here's the thing: I get my way with the "parents." Does that make sense?

I would be a security nightmare if I didn't have the beliefs and morals I have. I have seen many opportunities where I could take advantage of the system and get away with it. But I know better. People wouldn't suspect that I was capable of being anything BUT upfront and innocent. And if I HAD taken advantage, I would have quite a bit more $ in my pocket, because anything I needed, I could just take.

BUT that's the thing right there. What good would it do? So, I get to graduation by cheating my way through. Then at the end, I know NOTHING and have to pay up because I can't pass the final exam. And I get to weep, wail, and gnash my teeth wishing that I had just done it right... because now it's too late.

Clear as mud?

I am so blessed to have a conscience. Let me rephrase that. I am so blessed to have the Spirit active enough in my life and close enough to me that I can pass up the shortcuts, and keep my goal on the prize.

My disclaimer is this: I am not, have never been, and will have to work at becoming perfect for a very long time. But I am on the right path moving steadily forward, and that will even out the rest in the end.

No comments:

Followers