Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nearer My God to Thee

Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!
E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me;
Still all my song would be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down,
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone;
Yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

There let the way appear steps unto heav'n;
All that Thou sendest me in mercy giv'n;
Angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Then with my waking thoughts bright with Thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise;
So by my woes to be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Or if on joyful wing, cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upwards I fly,
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

******************************************

I have been blessed with the Gift if Empathy. My Patriarchal Blessing speaks of being able to share others joys and sorrows.

This is a painful, yet rich Gift to have.

Fortunately, it is a very God like, and Christ like quality when used correctly.

I can only imagine how painful it must be for the Savior to stand, hand open offering relief, love, joy, compassion and so many other gifts as people look at His outstretched hand, and say "No thank you. I'm fine on my own."

"I don't need the help. I don't need your hand outs. I don't need your thoughtfulness. I don't need your gifts."

I think many people are oblivious to what a slap in the face it is when someone offers service with a genuine heart, and it is declined over and over.

I may not have much to give, but what I have I give.

One of the conditions to our salvation is whether we fully became what we had the potential to become, or not.

What then, do you think it does for a person who has so much to give, but is never allowed the opportunity?

It makes them feel unfulfilled. It lowers their feeling of accomplishment. It lowers their feeling of worth.

It is a blessing for the person giving service, just as much as the person recieving service when it is allowed to be given.

*************************************************

I am so far from perfect. I have so far to go. So much I need to perfect. So many changes to make.

But when I leave this testing ground, I look forward to at LEAST being able to say "I took every opportunity presented to me to help my Brothers and Sisters."

*************************************************

I will forever be saddened and amazed at how many people will turn down dinner, compassion, friendship.

No comments:

Followers