Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wife Swap

I LOVE the show "Wife Swap"!!! Sorry, ya'll. You MIGHT be SHOCKED, but watching that show has shown me that I'm a REALLY balanced, "normal", Caring Mom!


I really am SMACK in the middle of EVERY extreme I have seen on that show.

I am structured. But I know how to, and teach my kids how to let loose.

I expect certain things from My Family. But they also get time to do things THEIR way.... as long as they are respectuful and have manners.

I teach values, respect, love, caring, responsibility, taking care of belongings including our bodies.

I teach moderation. And there are only TWO things I have taught my children you DO NOT EVER try: Tobacco, and Drugs. WE take medicine AS Prescribed. ANd I explain that to them.

We have Family discussions about sex. And My Girls know that I didn't take the advice I'm giving them, and regret it. But that it's their life. And if they CHOOSE to have sex before they are adults, and married, there could be consequences that they won't like. I teach them about SAFE sex. Not NO sex.

I am willing to hear that I am not the best Mom.

I am willing to look at myself through a magnifying glass, and view the truth. And then change it, if I need to!


Example: Today, I said to Elizabeth, who was being unkind to her sibling, "Why are you being mean?" She said "Because sometimes YOU are mean to us." I said "I am sorry for that. Do you see me doing better?" SHe said that she did. I explained that I will work harder. But that does not make it ok for her to do it to others.

I think that is something many parents fail at. Being real, honest, and allowing their Children to critique them and change when what they are doing isn't right.

I teach them to be healthy. To mange their time, money and desires. I teach them that if they want something, they have to earn it.

1 comment:

Missionary Momma said...

Love Love Love this show!!! I would love to think I fit all the categories but I digress...nonetheless, I still LOVE!

Followers