Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Are you a Sheep or a Shepherd?

I went with Abby and My In Laws to The Forgotten Carols on Abby's Birthday.

And I'm glad we could be there with them, but sitting separately.

The need for The Spirit to be there in the intimate way it was with just Abby and Me.

And I realized that all of these people sit together in an auditorium and sing, and cry. And then they leave. And once they are out those doors, it's over.

They are sheep. They come to be fed. They feel The Spirit. They feel a connection. And then, they go back to what they were doing before.

They do not take on the role of Shepherd. They might not go out and be unkind. But their connection to their Brothers and Sisters is replaced with the busy routine of their lives.

And I remember General Conference in October where we were reminded of The Lord coming to Peter and asking "Do you love me?" When the answer was "Of course, I love thee." The Lord responded with "Then Feed My Sheep."

We are all Children. Even those of us who are Parents.

And though we are all Sheep, we need to eventually become Shepherds as well.

We need to leave being fed, and then go and feed others.

No comments:

Followers