Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Monday, March 16, 2009

Peculiar in the midst of the word

I have recently found it amazingly interesting how even among people who are not always what the "world" would consider the "Norm," I don't find many who share my points of view. In a religion where we preach about being prepared, people seem to find me unusual because I am passionate about being prepared. One of the most recent examples is that a few weeks ago, we bought two guns. I have been taught my entire life to have a year supply of food and supplies for my family, that the world will come to a point where crisis is the norm, and evil is rampant. Ok... Well, I have my year supply pretty well on it's way, and I have Three BEAUTIFUL Daughters, and a Son. When the state of the world becomes such that I need that supply, and people have forgotten their Humanity.... what's the point if I can't protect my assets? I'll tell you one thing: I have ZERO problem shooting someone to keep my children from starving to death or worse. Yet almost every person in my extended "network" thinks that we are OUT OF OUR MINDS for buying and keeping guns with us. Here's one thing: I have sat down with my children and shown them our guns. I have told them what they are, what they are for and what they are capable of. I DO NOT worry about an accident. Because we are educated. And our children are being educated. That's one thing that really bothers me about a lot of "Mormons" and others who are closed minded. Children are often taught in these homes that sex, guns, drugs, alcohol, etc are BAD. But these Children are almost NEVER educated about these topics in their homes. Soooo, the first time they run into a real situation with these topics, they may say "No." When pressured further, they have nothing to back themselves up with. "Because my mom and dad said so." Is Noble, but often will not hold or carry them for long. And then you get into the facts of sex not really being bad....just for certain people and situations. CONFUSING! So, how about instead of telling them "No." or it's "Bad." we educate them for Heaven's sake?! Meanwhile, I remain one who carries a gun with me. And would feel much better if we had more. Oh yeah, and I guess telling my Children how bad sex is is prolly a bad idea, since I definitely have been known to indulge myself once in a while! :-)

No comments:

Followers