Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Monday, March 30, 2009

Pregnant, pregnant, pregnant!... or ...The Good Samaritan in Sherriff's clothing

So today I really didn't want to go out. The weather was YUCKY, and I have a million and one things I need to do at home. BUT... we were out of milk. So, I decided @ 2:00 to take David some lunch and see about getting some groceries. Elizabeth gets out of school at 3:20. Her bus gets to our house @ 3:35. Plenty of time to make a quick trip to RS. I was driving on I-80. About 1/2 way to RS when I noticed a lot of snow blowing off my van behind me. All of a sudden the white, inconspicuous truck behind me turns on flashing red and blue lights. Well, what choice did I have but to pull off the road. My poor Mom. I was on the phone with her, but because of the incidents I've had with Law Enforcement and plain dumb luck in the past, I reflexively hung up without even saying "Goodbye." I checked my speed when I saw His lights go on... 70 MPH. Completely below the Speed Limit. He came to my window, and the first words out of my mouth after repeating his greeting were "I KNOW I wasn't speeding!"

Nope! I wasn't. He informed me that there was smoke coming from my van (NOT snow) and that he'd like to check my radiator. He got under the hood and informed me that my radiator hose had disconnected. We looked in the back for some tools with no luck. He didn't seem to have any either. Just then a 2nd Sherriff's Deputy showed up. He informed me my back tire was extremely low, and he had a multi-tool. Together they attempted to reattatch the hose. Then a 3rd arrived to check on the situation. Holy Cow! Between the 4 of us, we got the hose semi attatched, and some water in the reservoir so that I could drive the 5 miles to David's work. The 1st Sherriff's Deputy who had initially pulled me over, followed slowly behind me until I pulled into the Cameron parking lot.

It was 2:45. My gas light came on. And just a little tid bit: in order to get to David's work, you have to go down the road that the SW County Jail is on. It was hard not to feel as though I was driving myself to jail with the Sherriff's Deputy steadily behind me.

(Now I had done Nothing wrong, and they didn't even check my license or anything. BUT I've had my experiences, and it's just my reflexive reaction ... I really have had some pretty bad luck)

David checked everything out, and got the hose completely reattatched. He found some coolant and got me filled back up. By this point it was 3:10. I called the school and asked them to keep Elizabeth there rather than let her ride the bus home. I convinced David to ride with me to get her just to be safe. An hour later, I had her in my care, my tires were full, my gas tank full, my radiator working great, and was on my way to take David back to work.

When we were at the gas station, I went to use the restroom while David put gas and air in the van. I caught a glimpse at my reflection. BOY am I pregnant! Which at that point, I was really quite grateful for that Sherriff's Deputy. He may have saved us more than I realize. And he must have called in for assistence, and that is why the other two came. As nervous as it made me, he really went out of his way to help a Pregnant Stranger with a Two yr old out.

No comments:

Followers