Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pregnancy and adventure

Well, we bought a 9 mm semi, and .44 Special revolver yesterday, and took them out shooting today. HAH!I am no 20 year old anymore.I drove my minivan out on the dirt road, got my Pregnant body out, left my girls locked in the car playing My Little Pony, and went off a few yards to shoot safely.1st instruction given to me: Do not hold the 9mm like "this" because it kicks back and will hurt you. Well, so much for being the "Know it all" Mom that I often think I am. I get so frustrated that the first thing my Children do after recieving instructions from me, is do exactly what I just told them NOT to do. And so, I took aim with my hand RIGHT where it should not have been, fired, and DAMN IT! Blood. And of course, I had to stop everything until I could get the distraction of blood dripping down my hand resolved. 10 yrs ago, I prolly would have wiped it on my jeans, and forged on.Then came the realization as I shot a few more rounds, that I close my eyes when I pull the trigger. How the heck can I expect to hit ANYTHING like that?!So much for 5 yrs with an M16. And I was pretty good then, too. I could out shoot David any day.Well, after 3 mags of ammo for the 9 mm expended, I had the hang of it.Then the .44 was simple... I even hit my target. So, I gather up my gear, and haul my waddling, pregnant self back to the van, get my earplugs out of my ears, lock up the equipment, wipe the blood and grease off my hands, and climb in.Well, there had been glass on the road in front of me, so I didn't want to go forward. So I backed around, and Oh for Crying out LOUD! Where did that big mud puddle come from? Well, of COURSE I got stuck. And it's a Mom-Mobil. I don't need features that get me out of mud. So, after 15 min of meneuvering, spraying mud up the entire side of the van, and plowing through the bushes that ultimately left pretty good marks along the sides of the van, we were back to civilization.And oh yeah, I was definitely feeling the wear and tear from the shooting... I'm glad to know I CAN reasonably shoot when i'm pregnant, but it's prolly not an activity I should engage in regularly until AFTER. Poor Baby. All in all, it was a fun experience. I got my hand cleaned up, the van through a good car wash, and it was all superficial damage, so.....

No comments:

Followers