Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Let me be

I recently had a TERRIBLE experience with my Facebook account. I posted a note about my thoughts on the tv show Big Love. Several people joined the discussion, and I was happy to have their input.

And then it happened. One of my Friend's Husbands took it to a Personal Attack. He turned a friendly discussion into bickering. He wasn't even really addressing the topic. Just insulting people. It is MY account, My "blog" and I asked him to stop. More attacks. So, I blocked him from being able to view or participate. He bipassed that by using his Wife's account and again attacked people... namely Me.

I felt so violated.

And THEN his Wife got involved, and SHE started commenting on the note. Not about the topic.... about the injustices done to her Husband. I ultimately deleted the thread. It sucked because it is like any other "blog" to me. It is where I go to document my thoughts and feelings. I welcome input. However it remains MY little bubble of space to do with as I please as long as I stay within the apropriate boundries in the terms of use. When I deleted that thread, in a small way it was like deleted a part of who I am. It was like saying "I am only the parts of me that people want to see." That made me very angry.

His Wife went so far as to suggest that I use THIS blog for discussions, entries that people may disagree with, etc. EXCUSE ME! I certainly do NOT think so. Why keep that account if I have to be someone else? I came REALLY close to deleting my account, but I have Friends on there that I wouldn't be able to keep in touch with well without it. They don't use Blogger, or Myspace.

So, I will keep it, however, I reserve my right to be free to express who I am on it... and if someone can't respect that, then THEY can go away. Not Me.

2 comments:

Toni said...

Candace,
I haven't checked your blog in ages because you never ever updated. Then I get on and wow. I am so excited that you are having a boy. Congratulations!!! Remember when I was dropping Grant off in nursery and I said I thought it was a boy! Woo Woo! Go me!

Candace said...

Thanks Toni! Yep, you were right! Go You! We are pretty excited too. :-)

Followers