Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Sunday, July 12, 2009

This year vs last

This has been a summer of comparisons. It has been good to see where I was last year and the results of the path I chose.

The 4th of July was specifically significant.

Last year, the 4th of July was a landmark. And I wanted it to be marked with all the ceremony it could. I invited Jared's Family up, and was REALLY hoping for it to be a celebration of my independance from what I considered to be a horrific experience in a marriage that had failed.

Jared drove up Thurs. the 3rd after work. I had really hoped for my divorce to be final by then... no such luck. I still had almost a full week that I had to wait before the manditory waiting period was over. Friday the 4th started off more melancholy than I would have liked. None of Jared's Family was able to make it. So, we started off on our own. Got the Girls ready, and decided to go to the park for a picnic. We stopped on our way to the park to see if the Wallace Family wanted to come with us. They had other plans. We went to the park, ate, and then headed to Walmart to see about some last minute fire works.... we found none.

We gave up, and drove to a parking lot close to the Events Complex where the City fire works would be. That wasn't so bad. We had a pretty good time except that Abby was VERY clingy and would not stop fussing. And then it was home to bed.

The rest of the weekend seemed to follow much the same mood. By Tues, the 8th, when Jared left.... well, I would not say I had gotten the grand weekend I had hoped for. But, such is life, right?!

Wed, the 9th, rather than being here filing the final paperwork for my divorce, I was in SLC fighting to save the relationship I thought Jared and I had. We have not seen eachother since.

Now... THIS 4th of July:

My mom drove up early afternoon on the 3rd, and had us bring the Girls to her hotel where they watched movies and ordered pizza while David and I went to see "Transformers." He and I then did some shopping and went home. We got to sleep in the next morning.... which was good because both of us had gotten sick over night. David went to run some errands, and by fireworks from one of the big firework stores here, while I took my time getting ready. We then went and picked up the Girls and headed over the the Wallace's for some really good BBQ and fun. After an afternoon of food and slip and slide, we settled in there back yard to roast marshmallows, and then into the front to set of the $40 worth of "illegal" (if you live anywhere but WY) fireworks David had bought. Then for the City fireworks. At about 11:00, we took the Girls back to my mom, and it was home to bed after one of the best 4th of July celebrations I can remember.

Last year, everything just seemed to fall apart on it's own. This year, it all just seemed to come together so perfectly and satisfactorally!

Just one more thing that shows me how much better the path I chose was, than the one I almost took!

No comments:

Followers