Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Define Desires

David gave me a Blessing yesterday. It referred to my Wants, Needs, and Desires. It got me thinking about what exactly a Desire is. I realized that it fits right in the middle of wants and needs. Wants are things that you .... well, WANT ;-). But seriously, a want is something that would be nice to have. Trinkets, per say. Things to enjoy. Needs, of course are things that you either can't survive with out, or pretty close to can't survive without. And then there are desires. They are things that would really make life easier. For example: I have a washer and dryer set that I really like. Having a washer and dryer for us is a need. We COULD survive without them, but not very easily.... and would still have to have a way to get our clothes clean. So they are in the need category as something that we almost could not survive without since we don't have anywhere close to do laundry. However, the TYPE of washer and dryer we have are not critical to our ability to get our clothes clean. The washer and dryer set we had before did the job just fine. Not NEARLY as well, but adequate. Making the set we have a desire. Because the job they do really make things quite a bit easier for us.... and some of you know that laundry is a thing I get backed up on a lot. They meet the large load need and quick dry need better than others would. They are not say the "Cadillac" of appliances (Which would fit into the want category). But they aren't "old school" either. They are right in the middle. Another example: I WANT the job that pays a million dollars. We NEED a job that pays the bills and allows us to live. A job that pays enough for us to support ourselves and help our parents and others out is a DESIRE.

Anyhow, I am sooo Grateful for a Heavenly Father who cares about not only my needs, but my desires as well.

No comments:

Followers