Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Theatricality

After my day of posts yesterday.... which I actually didn't expect anyone to read.... I thought I needed to blog some more.

You see, there was a part in one of my posts where I called my Ex a "Slut." Now the ONLY reason that word even came to mind was because the quote from Glee was in my head where Emma says "You're a Slut, Will..." So, that came from that.

And my need to "beat a dead horse"... It's not enough that I killed it, I have to make sure it's done and gone! Or in other words, "It's not enough to douse yourselves with gasoline, you have to light yourselves on fire....", well, I am nothing if not thorough.

But you see, there is that theatricality behind it all.

Not that I need attention.... I admit that I used to, but that has toned down. More than I need the attention now, I need the expression. I need to express myself till every drop is squeezed out before I'm satisfied.

So, though I prolly Pissed a few people off with my posts yesterday, and others got a bit of a slap in the face or their feelings hurt.... that's not what my posts were about. They were about a flood of feelings, and the need to squeeze every last drop of emotion on the topic into my post because THEN and only then do I feel relief. It's about the theatricality.

Here's the thing: Words themselves are theatrical for me. Life is theatrical for me.

Because theatricality is not about simply performing. EVERY word has more than a 1 dimensional meaning. Life is not 1 dimensional. And that's where I get into trouble.

VERY few people I know have the ability to see past that first dimension of the word and they find that first dimension offensive. Whereas the 2nd, and 3rd may not be.

Take what I said in one of my posts: "She's STUPID!" Is not a nice thing to say 1 dimensional. But 2nd dimensional, it's not quite as bad. She's not stupid in the sense that she in unintelligent, or less of a person. But she has the power in her hands to change the things she doesn't like, or go after the things she needs, and yet she mourns the things she "wants" but doesn't have, and doesn't see the bigger picture.... meanwhile, what if the answer's just past the haze of self actualization of her fears. She is so focused on the problem that the solution eludes her. Making her "Stupid."

Then there is the fact that I play on words and situations almost constantly.

For example: Yesterday I took David his clothes and as I was entering the room he was in, I told him something and he stared at me blankly. So, I spoke loudly, clearly and like he was an idiot... or a "Foreign Exchange student named Sunshine....." And at the end of what I had to tell him, I finished with "Glee Club is Fun. Swaying in the background can be fun..... You like me very much!" When you're in on it, it's fun. When you're outside looking in, I sound like a JERK!

And that was actually one thing that David and I struggled with before. He didn't realize that even when things were tense I was usually being theatrical vs serious. I might say something that fit our situation but was a quote from something else. Then HE would respond harshly, and by the time I could explain what I had meant by it, we'd be fighting.

So stop doing it, you say?

Well, my mind doesn't work quite like that.

But now that we have worked through that, we actually have fun with it.

My mind races a million miles a second, but I can't always pull the the information I NEED from it at the moment I need it, so I say what comes to mind.

Clear as mud?

Basically, I am in capable of thinking in the box or on a 1 dimensional level. I've seen outside of the box, and can't pretend that there isn't more out there. I've seen the other dimensions to things and can't view them as flat anymore.... "What's the next step?"
With him, it's always: "Sophie, what's the next step?"

Another thing I've realized is that life is really a stage production. Therefore, by definition, life IS Theatrical.

We choreograph our days, dance around situations and people, and break into song (arguments, love making, you name it) randomly throughout. If you look at it that way, I would dare say it's MUCH easier to take things in stride.

SOOOO, here's to being theatrical. May it carry you through the days of your life.

It's what keeps me going.

2 comments:

Donette said...

Kay so I have this same problem but what helps is Baron quotes too and we quote the same things. There is basically a quote in my mind for every situation but I can only do this with Baron because he knows my references...anyone else gives me the deer in the headlight look.

Candace said...

YUP! That's exactly the way it is with David and me. He knows my references. For a VERY long time, this DIDN'T work with him. Now, fortunately it does.

I'm pretty good in day to day life about not doing it. But when I blog, it's free for all. So, basically my posts are almost guaranteed to traumatize SOMEONE ;-)

Followers