Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Monday, January 31, 2011

Lost Virtues

Forgiveness is so UNDER rated now a days. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... so is Empathy!

If one could see the effects of their actions through another's eyes. Feel the effects through another's heart, Would they be so hasty as to wound and judge.

I realized something last night. That those of my Friends who know the WHOLE story, are still around. While those who only know 2/3rds are not.

I believe it may mean that A) Those who have been told the whole story are able to grasp a deeper level of truth and existence, there by making them more understanding, and less likely to judge what takes place on the surface. Or B) I am really hard to understand, and those who know the whole story have all the pieces which makes understanding me and the situation easier. Or Both.

What's interesting is that I write it all down. If you're reading this you have either heard the stories first hand, heard the stories second hand, or read about them in this blog. It's ALL here. But those who I have not DIRECTLY told, don't seem to know it.

I hide NOTHING. I protect myself as much as I can while keeping to what I feel is MY code of ethics: Integrity.

I have nothing to hide, thus I hide NOTHING. I WILL protect my family though, and if you pose a threat, I will NOT give you ammunition.

I guess you could say that I speak in parables often. So, I guess those who have ears to hear, and eyes to see, do. And those who have not the fortitude to discern, miss out.

Back to the original point. Why are forgiveness and empathy so difficult to come by?

I try to understand others perspective, and judge liberally vs rashly. (do NOT misunderstand. I admit freely that I can REACT rashly. But to actually have that action be my final judgement is RARE)

And I've noticed that forgiveness is an INCREDIBLY rare commodity. People hold the smallest offenses over you eternally now days. But I am realizing that people who can't forgive others almost NEVER have the ability to forgive THEMSELVES. So I guess at least they're consistent on that one.

So, do not judge...leave that to God. Have empathy. And forgive.... YOURSELF and that might make it so much easier to forgive OTHERS!!!!

No comments:

Followers