Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Life since Jacob joined our family

I have been really bad at keeping up with this since Jacob was born. I will try really fast to hit on the highlights:

1st, Jacob's arrival.

Jacob was due August 2nd. However, with him being my 4th and Abby (my 3rd) coming 10 days early on her own and being the PERFECT delivery, we were expecting him as early as the 4th of July weekend. And I was really disappointed when i had to be induced 6 days before his due date.

On Monday, the 27th of July, David, Abby, and I drove to the hospital. I had pre registered, so it was just a matter of checking in. My mom was in town and had the 3 Girls with her. But we had wanted to spend one last night with our "Baby" so we kept Abby with us.

They started me on a Pitocin drip, and since I was positive for Group B Strep, they started the antibiotics. This was at 7 am. At 8, David took Abby to my mom. 9, the Dr came in to check me, and offered to break my water. When I got to the hospital, I was dialated to a 3, and about 60% effaced. At 12, I was about 70% effaced, and dialated to about a 5. Blah!!!!! At 12:30 the Dr .... well, the intern that was with her, broke my water. He had a hard time catching the sack, and it wasn't my favorite moment ;-). Within about 10 minutes, my contractions had become almost unbearable. I had gone from a 5 to an 8 and was almost 100% effaced. I asked for pain meds.... I had pre arranged to have a very light pain medication that is delivered IV, and just takes the edge off.... but David talked me into waiting through 3 more contractions before I INSISTED on the medication. It was supposed to be ready and waiting but took another 2 contractions for them to bring it. This was about 1:15 pm. At about 1:30 the Dr showed up (with the intern) and everything was set up for the arrival. The 1 problem was that Jacob had not really dropped. He was still at zero station. So unlike my other deliveries, I actually had to push him down the birth canal. At 1:58, Jacob arrived weighing in at 8 lbs. 1 oz. (my 2nd smallest Baby... Abby was 7 lbs. 15.6 oz.) He was BEAUTIFUL! Curly strawberry blonde hair. I asked how he was, and Starla (My Dr) said "He's perfect!" She wasn't exagerating. His Apgar scores were 9 and 10. They told me that perfect of a score is rare. His cord was tied in what they call a "True Knot" which means he was VERY active... and again is a very rare thing to see.

While I had pain meds with this delivery, they were not very strong, just enough to take the edge off, and only lasted about an hour. Nothing compared to an epidural, which made me proud of myself.... however, Abby came so quickly and easily, that I had NOTHING with her... So I was bummed about that.

The delivery was my hardest, because I had to push him down whereas My Girls were already at the opening when I started pushing. With both Elysia and Abby, it only took 2 contractions to deliver. Jacob was a LOT more ;-)

All in all, it went well. I was there for almost 8 hours, but only actually in labor for 1 1/2.

********************************************************************************
Jacob is such a good Baby! I love him to death. I knew what to watch for and what my limits were this time, and have been able to avoid the "Baby Blues" on any significant level. It has helped that Jacob was a summer Baby and we have been able to get out a lot. With my Girls, it was winter, and we were stuck in doors.

Jacob was born "Coombs Positive" which means that he has David's blood type, and it is incompatible with mine. It causes severe jaundice while his body fight off my cells that have crossed with his during the delivery. It can also cause severe anemia resulting in the need for a transfusion. I was discharged Tues. He was not discharged for another 36 hours. We had to take him back to the hospital almost every day for the 1st 10 days to have his bili count taken, and actually had to get a light blanket for home.

The Jaundice finally went away by his 6 week check up just after Labor Day.

I have been able to exclusively nurse him, which is a first for me. They asked that I supplement with formula for the 1st 2 weeks to get him to excrete the bilirubin faster. However since then, he hasn't had a single bottle.

When Jacob was 1 month old exactly, David was fired from his job with Cameron International. That has REALLY sucked!!!!! However, we have seen numerous blessings in the past 2 months, and are no where near as stressed over the situation as we COULD be.

Our Heavenly Father has truly watched over and blessed us!

Jacob is such a joy to have around. For now, he is quite easy going, and enjoys watching his sisters. He loves to be where ever we are. He does well in his swing and ok in his boucy seat. He sleeps almost consistently when in his carseat.

At his 2 month check up, he was just over 12 lbs. He's still Beautiful.

Landmarks in his developement:

Day 1, July 27th, he could roll onto his side when he slept.

Day 9 , August 5th, he rolled from his belly to his back

September 7th, he smiled consciously

and last week.... October 26th, he laughed.

His sisters ADORE him, and help out soooo much!

I am definitely a better mother than I was when Elizabeth was a Baby. I can truly enjoy this time. And it's so much easier to stay calm when he's upset.

He sleeps in the playpen we bought when Abby was born, in our room. He has almost consitently slept from around midnight until 5 am. And just this past week, extended to going to sleep around 11 pm and sleeping until about 6 am. When he wakes for his early morning feeding, he comes into bed with us, and is there until I get up for the day. He is such a cuddler!!!

No comments:

Followers