Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Why I am the way I am

I was just reading a Friends post about her 3 yr old getting lost at a park. I just have to say, that like her, my worst nightmare is something bad happening to my children. I probably seem over bearing in a lot of ways. But let me say this, I am DETERMINED to keep my children safe. They are my LIFE. Everything else can come and go. I could not go on without my Babies.

Lat school year, Elizabeth's bus stop was out our back door. I loved being able to watch her without having to go outside. It made it easy to take care of the other 2 girls and not neglect Elizabeth's safety.

This year, for INSANELY stupid reasons, her bus stop has moved about 1 yard to the corner. It's almost no difference at all, yet it's just far enough that I can no longer see her from our apartment. It has been really nice having David around, because I INSIST on one of us walking her to her bus stop, and standing with her until she is on the bus. After it pulls away, we go home. A pain when I'm here by myself. But I know that my children INSIDE are safe, and i would hate to not be with her ONE time, and never see her again.

I don't go and get her from the bus stop because I figure that there is only a 5 minute window between when I hear the bus pull up until she should be at the door. Whereas in the morning, it would be 8 hours before I would be expecting her.

Anyway, My children are in my line of sight every second of every day that I can manage. At the store, every single one of them is in or on the shopping cart in some way. I hear stories of children wandering off in the store. That will not be my child. Not even Elizabeth walks. Paranoid??? I couldn't care less!!! They're safe and not getting into trouble. When we go places, we almost always take the double stroller and I have Jacob and Abby strapped in, with my older girls holding on.

2 comments:

The Circus said...

just letting you know I found you ;)

Miriam said...

I do the same things in the store. But there comes a time when they need a bit of responsibility. The other day I was at the check stand and I sent Audrey and Hailey back to the cereal Isle to get the cereal we forgot. I was anxious the whole 3 minutes they were gone but they were together and they are almost 8. So it was fine. They loved the responsibility.

Followers