Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blast from the past

Wow, so here are a couple of stories that have been brought up that I figured I'd share:

In Basic Training, I had a locker and bed close enough to the bathroom that I ignored the mandate to only undress in the bathroom. I'd strip down and hurry in thinking I was "safe". Males and Females were completely separate, so I didn't worry about who saw. One day at dinner a Male Soldier I knew said "You're in (this Slot in you barracks) aren't you?" I said "How would YOU know?" He said I'm in the barracks with a window facing yours, you don't have any blinds in your window." And he winked... LUCKILY, not seeming disgusted, in fact he actually seemed pleased (I was in MUCH better shape then) but I never undressed outside of the bathroom the rest of my time there.

Another time, In different Barracks.... you see the rule was to only undress in the bathroom because Male Drill Sergeants could come into the barracks any time. They would announce their presence, but still. If you were already undressed, it might be too late. So one morning, I'm getting dressed (I wasn't going all the way down the hall to the bathroom) and I'm done except for my pants which I'm sitting on my bed with my back to the bedroom (which I shared with 7 others) door putting on, when a male Drill Sergeant comes on the floor. He announces his presence, tells us to continue what we're doing (everyone else was shining shoes or making beds) and tells us what he needs to. As he leaves he says behind him "Oh, and tell Flesher (my last name then) to get her pants on."

LUCKILY both of these incidents were nothing but funny/a tiny embarrassing, but all in good humor. Unfortunately, I'm still not the best at shutting the blinds. ;-)

No comments:

Followers