Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Griping

This is stemming from a morning that started out GREAT and went to Shit in a matter of minutes, combined with some recent encounters that were exacerbated by the lousy turn in mood.

I shouldn't have to be the bad guy because you don't want to teach your child manners... it puts me in an unfair situation. To either let your child take advantage of me or someone in my care, or be the person they don't like because I didn't let them do what they shouldn't have been doing in the first place. There are behaviors that just aren't socially acceptable, and if your thoughts are that "they're only a child, cut them some slack," then think about this: At what age do you teach them how to behave in a social setting? You're not raising them to be children, your raising them to be successful adults. If they shouldn't do it as an adult, there is NO reason for them to do it as a child. An infant or a toddler that cannot understand what you are saying, fine. But my 20 month old understands "That is not ok" better than many adults do.

Socially unacceptable behaviors include: Eating someone's food that was NOT offered to you.... especially off the plate in front of them or out of their hand, Playing with yourself in any situation besides the privacy of your bedroom or bathroom (don't get me started on that one.... in my house it's not acceptable no matter WHERE you are..... and YES, my 20 month old even understands THAT), Talking over/interrupting people..... etc.


And if you are in customer service, you need to have some people skills... I get that your job may SUCK, but I pay your paycheck. I am the reason you have a job. You piss off enough of "me" and you won't be able to pay YOUR bills.

2 comments:

Donette said...

With a child with Asperger's Syndrome and the other with ADHD I think there are extenuating circumstances. However I do think manners should be enforced and go by the way side much of the time in today's society.

Candace said...

There ARE special circumstances, I agree with that.... especially with the actual interaction part. NO child over the age of 2 should be grabbing at other peoples' food. I've interacted with enough special needs (including Asperger's Patients) children to know that they can have boundaries set. AND the children referred to are definitely NOT special needs. Their only handicap is lack of parental guidance!

Followers