Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Friday, June 3, 2011

I don't like who I was.

As I was loading the kids into the car after a very full and tiring day, I heard some teenagers being crazy and loud close by. And it bothered me a LOT. And I thought about it. I WAS one of those teenagers once. And I was at LEAST that loud. And did not care one bit what any one thought of it. I ruled the world.

And I realized that I think deep down, the reason it bothers me is because I really don't like the person I used to be.

I was cute, smart, funny, had lots of friends, had a good amount of boys who I liked or who liked me. I really DID have the world at my feet. But I was cocky, and carefree, and wanted what I wanted. And that meant that I had boyfriends who overlapped. I had a serious boyfriend, or 2, or 3 constantly from the time I was 15, till I was 23. And I did what I wanted, when I wanted. I broke hearts. Including my own.

And then, I settled down. Sort of. I married David because it was the right thing to do. But I was still WAY too into me. I loved him. But not like I thought I did. I had NO hesitations about the marriage. I KNEW it was what I wanted. But I was not 100% invested in it. I was still way too into what made ME happy.

I have done a LOT of finding out what being me really entails. I have evolved a TON. And the core thing I think I hate about who I WAS, is exactly this: I had the world before me, and was too selfish to use that power for what it was really worth. Had I exhausted the amazing gift I was given, I could have had it ALL.

And I was STUPID. And I had to learn the hard way. And it hurt.

And now here I am. With EVERYTHING! And so grateful I'm the person I AM, and not the person I WAS!

No comments:

Followers