Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Never mock someone's "Inspiration"

About 12 years ago (I can't even believe it's possible for it to have been that long), I had a "Revelation" of sorts come to me. It was odd, and out of the blue. But I'm pretty sure I recognized it for what it was.

I told my Boyfriend at the time about it. (Interestingly enough HIS name was David) We had dated in High School. He had gone on his mission and was home. We were considering marriage. And when I told him what I had been "Told" he scoffed at it.

Well, I didn't marry him. I went to a very trusted former Seminary Teacher of mine and asked him his opinion. My Boyfriend's reaction had done some damage to how much I trusted what I THOUGHT I had been "Told". Bro Webb, who was not only my former Seminary Teacher, but had also become one of my Institute Advisors as well... (I need to point out that he was my Seminary Teacher in Magna, and my Institute Advisor in Virginia. 2000 miles between the 2. And I had ended up on the Institute Council for the AREA, not just the state.) told me this: "There is no purer form of inspiration than the feelings/thoughts/instincts of a Righteous Woman."

Well, 12 years later.... 12 years, 4 Children, one divorce, 2 marriages, and some difficult times later, and it looks as though the thoughts I shared with my High School Boyfriend were probably exactly what I believed them to be so many years ago.

You see, I was told 3 names. Elizabeth, Tyler, and David. These were names I was "Told" as Children's names. There has been speculation on my part over the years as to how many of them were Children's names. I am married to a David, and Jacob was supposed to be DAVID Tyler. So that made me think that Tyler was the differentiating between Father and Son. And I was only being told 2 names of Children not 3.

As 3 Girls came and then the divorce, I sort of let the whole thing go since the only name that had made any sort of appearance was Elizabeth. And it seemed we were probably done.

But time marches on, and I was not very wise to try and put a . where the Lord had but a , Who am I to tell God that he was "wrong" and I have completed a job he asked me to do.... when in fact I am in the middle of my task. So..... let's just say that it looks very plausible that in our Family, before we are through, there will indeed be 3 children that wear those names as their own.

Something I found to be sort of amusing was that the David who mocked my thoughts all those years ago, posted as his "deep thought" on Facebook yesterday: "Be careful never to step on someone's dignity even if that dignity appears to be vanity." Interesting I thought!

No comments:

Followers