Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Understanding = Normalcy

For YEARS David and I have fought about the way I do things. Sorry but I have a preference about how to do just about EVERYTHING that has an impact on me. And as I've eluded to on several occasions, I don't think people often know what to do with someone like that. David likes this about me, but struggles with the "novelty" of it.

I have tried INCREDIBLY hard to sort out my preferences by "healthy," and "non healthy" to establish a safe, comfortable routine and environment for us as a Family. It's not perfect, but in many ways it seems to provide stability, and security. Especially when things explode around here as they are known to do.

One of the OLDEST and most "agreed upon" by David and myself is that when we get home for the night, EVERYONE gets a bath before going to bed. Right or wrong, it has held steady through 3 Children.

There WAS actually a time when this wasn't the way it was done. There WAS a time when Elizabeth (12-15 months old) and I would be out late, and I would bring her home asleep, and tuck her right into her crib. That was a simpler time. And maybe a time that should have been explored more vs rushed away (David and I were separated, and I was pregnant with Elysia. If I had taken more time then to figure myself out before getting back with David.... who knows) Anyway....

Since Elysia was born, I'm pretty sure, this is how we've done it. So by the time Abby came along, the Girls just dealt with some very late night baths.

David has really never complained about THIS particular ritual. And even Jared went with it pretty well. The Girls have grown accustomed to the routine. And even Jacob was right on track to adjust to it.

And then, tonight, we got home close to 2 am. And after a GREAT afternoon/evening of swimming with the Geddies, and Dinner/movie with the Wallaces, our 4 SLEEPING Babies just didn't seem to need a bath. So, we brought them in, changed their clothes, I wiped off their feet and hands, and into bed they went. Elysia was the one I timed, and I had her in the house, changed, and in bed in 4 minutes. (Jacob is still in his car seat.) This seems like a lot of hassle still I know. But understand that this was in place of a routine that NEVER gets deviated from. This is HUGE around here :-)!!!!!!!

The thing is, that the less David fights me on something, the easier it is for me to feel it out and actually decide whether it's worth it or not. And to let go of something because I choose to rather than because I'm harassed until I do means a more healthy and permanent change when I DO change it. Forcing me to change, guarantees resistance, and often resentment, and only temporary results. It's like a crash diet.

So YAY for variation and 4... well, 5 including David, peacefully sleeping Babies (not David ;-)

No comments:

Followers