Today's Quote

“As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Do we live in such a way that a son or a daughter may say, ‘I want to follow my dad,’ or ‘I want to be like my mother’? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield its contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book in the library of learning of our homes.” Thomas S Monson

Monday, May 10, 2010

By Nature's Design, by God's Design, However you want to look at it, this is how I work

We received a shutoff notice last week for the power. I HATE broadcasting this, but it's what I'm dealing with right now, and therefore what I am writing about.

I called the power company and they told me we had until today to pay the past due.

I talked to David, and asked him if he needed to get with the Bishop to get it taken care of. He told me that No. He felt that things were going to be ok, and that he didn't need to talk to the Bishop about it.

Today, our doorbell rang. If you know me AT ALL, you should know by now that after every thing I have been through with the Law, I don't like to open the door if I'm not expecting you.

I knew that it very well COULD be the power company, and asked David to handle it.

When no progress seemed to be happening, I gave in and called my Mom. Which I HATE doing because she's already helping so much. BUT, I am a Mother. And we were about to be without power.

She let me make the payment with her Debit Card. But told me that I had to have the $ in her account by tonight or a check... her tithing check none the less would prolly bounce tomorrow.

After the situation was resolved, I told David it was done. I made NO effort at hiding my frustration with his allowing it to go to the point of shut off, before he took ANY kind of steps to avoid it.

He then informed me that he had worked something out with the Meter Lady and if he had given her 1/2 of the amount I had just paid, or rather MY MOM had just paid, we would have been fine.

Here's my issue with the situation. Never did he say anything that even remotely gave me reason to think it was being handled. When I came into the kitchen, and said I was going to call my Mom to see about getting a CC to do an over the phone payment
(which I SAID was what I was going to do) A simple "I've worked it out, you don't need to call her," would've been enough for me to stop and go back to taking care of the Children.

But I am a Woman. A Mother. And I can't speak for the rest of you, but I am a Woman of ACTION. ESPECIALLY when my Children are at risk. I don't hang around waiting and HOPING some one ELSE will fix things, save them, protect them. I DO it... and I do it NOW. I have been like that since the DAY Elizabeth was born. Only unfortunately it took a few years to not be afraid to be true to that instinct.

And unfortunately David has too often been the threat that I have felt needed to be dealt with. So, on TOP of my basic Mother Bear Nature, I have also learned from repetition, that I CAN'T wait for him to fix it, because not only has he shown a consistent lack of being part of the solution, but also a consistency of being part of the problem.


Things worked out fine. And besides a bit of frustration and annoyance, we got along fine. We got over it without getting upset, and it's done.

However, I REALLY wish he understood the BASIC make up of who I am and that I follow a process in situations like these. A) I ask about the situation to make sure I understand it. B) I warn that I am about to do what I need to in order to resolve the situation. and C) I ACT.

Now, in all fairness, I think I DID skip A. But I DID let him know that I was about to call my Mom for a CC # to fix the situation. And he knows, or SHOULD, that I try to be REALLY consistent about following through. He had time and warning to let me know that I didn't NEED to call her. That he had worked out a solution.

1 comment:

Donette said...

By year three of mine and Baron's marriage he was handling the finances and our water and power were being shut off. This led to a scavenger hunt of unopened bills, past due notices, credit cards maxed that I didn't know about. It was a mess and that is when I took over EVERYTHING because like you I get things done. We were making good money then so it only took me a couple of months to get everything current and paid off. Things have run much smoother over the last seven years but sometimes it's alot to handle like car maintenance, tax returns, medical bills, student loans, etc etc etc...basically everything is handled by me other than stepping out the door to get a paycheck. I'm tired just thinking about it but I've gotten used to it and I think I do a good job...hey I've kept us out of bankruptsy since Baron got laid off and hired on somewhere else at half the pay as before. Thank goodness we sold the house because I don't know how much longer I could work my magic!

Followers